Monday, March 14, 2011

Animated Dingbat Essay

I think 90% of the experiences in life are interactive. One of my favorites is getting together with my Magic group and having a night of drinking and gaming. Hanging out with them is very subconscious during the act. I follow my instincts and go with whatever flow there is. It is a great feeling to be surrounded by people like yourself, that get the same jokes and like the same things. It is easy to get caught up in it and not want to leave.

The same thing happens to me when I play a really good video game. I get caught in the story and am carried along by the feelings it produces. I get sucked in by the visuals and background sounds to a point that I can imagine myself as the character I'm playing. This is again a very subconscious, instinctive experience.

Again, the same feelings are produced when one reads a good story and visualizes the environment and the motions in the story. It is a much more conscious experience in that you have to focus on imagining to some extent but it is satisfying none the less.

I design my interactive media with that idea that you can just be carried along by what is going on so the interactivity I use is rather minimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment